This is the first in a series of monthly posts I will be making titled “Build A Room”. My goal is to provide inspiration for creating rooms in varying themes, using budget finds from around the web. Of course I encourage you to search Craigslist, Ebay, your local thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales, and any other source you might have to find similar items at a discount. And anything you can DIY – go for it!
So here it is – My French Nouveau Study. I was originally inspired by the set designs from the movie Bel Ami, which is set in turn-of-the-century Paris. I absolutely fell in love with the sumptuous interiors of the high society apartments as well as the more humble abode of the main character. The room I have created here is a mix of styles and genres (french country, Louis-style, etc) but it all works together to create a casual, chic space befitting a vintage Paris apartment.
1. Wall color – Benjamin Moore Mount Saint Anne CC-710. This beautiful “French Blue” (blue-gray) is the perfect base from which to build our palette. For extra drama (and to create the illusion of height) paint the trim the same color but in a semi-gloss. Add furniture and accents in buttery yellows and soft, warm grays.
2. Erin Cute-as-a-Button Loveseat $449.99 3. World Market Campaign Desk – $229.99 4. World Market Campaign Chair – $129.99 The whimsical loveseat and pared down campaign style pieces are modern twists on more traditional styles. Okay, so campaign furniture is more British than French, but the updated look of the desk and chair help bring a contemporary edge to our study.
5. Mist Blue Toile Fabric 6. Suburban Home Embroidered Rico Yellow $20.98/yd 7. 44″ Ticking Stripe Yellow $7.98/yd. Both toiles and ticking stripes are classic French fabrics, but with very different price points. Use the pricier toiles sparingly (throw pillows, or easy DIY framed wall art) and the more durable, utilitarian ticking striped fabric for everything from draperies, to couch covers, seat cushions, and throw rugs and pillows.
8. Set of Two Cream Round Metal Bird Cages (18″ & 15″) $25 9. 18″ x 24″ Eiffel Tower Photographic Print by Manuela Hofer 10. Room Essentials Velvet Ribbed Toss Pillow (18×18″) $14.99 and Xhilaration Yellow Sequin Tile Print Pillow $19.99 11. Metal Sunburst Mirror – Gold Have fun with your accessories and don’t be afraid to add in bits of whimsy (the birdcages), luxe details (the mirror), or even literal interpretations of your theme (the Eiffel Tower print). As long as the pieces you choose fit into your color scheme and overall theme they will work together to create a pulled-together, complete room.
12. Wall Sconce in Polished Brass $45.50 I love the sophisticated look of these brass sconces. They have a vintage feel to them that fits in well with our French Nouveau theme.
I would love to hear your feedback on my first “Build a Room” post. Let me know your thoughts and ideas. And if you are interested in a heads-up when the next “Build a Room” post is published simply sign up to receive my blog posts via email. Thanks so much for reading!